Who we are
We are Scottish Pipers For Hire. We are a marketplace for booking live music acts. Our website address is: https://www.scottishpipersforhire.com.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
Our business purpose is to provide a secure, accessible and easy-to-use online marketplace for connecting musicians with customers who can book them.
The personal information we collect as outlined in this document is collected on the legal basis of Legitimate Interests. “Legitimate Interests” means the interests of our company in conducting and managing our business, to enable us to give you the best service/products and the best and most secure experience. In other words, all of our data collection is done to support our purpose as a business, as described above. We only collect data which is necessary for this purpose. For each piece of personal information we collect, a Legitimate Interests Assessment has been carried out to ensure its collection supports our purpose and is weighed against your personal data rights.
For example, we have an interest in making sure our emails are relevant for you, so we may process your information to send you emails that are tailored to your interests.
It can also apply to processing that is in your interests as well.
For example, we may process your information to protect you against fraud when transacting on our website, and to ensure our websites and systems are secure.
When we process your personal information for our legitimate interests, we make sure to consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative), and your rights under data protection laws. Our legitimate business interests do not automatically override your interests – we will not use your Personal Data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).
We process personal information for certain legitimate business purposes, which include some or all of the following:
- to enable you to access and use the website and/or mobile apps
- where the processing enables us to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our services / communications for the benefit of our customers
- to identify and prevent fraud
- to enhance the security of our network and information systems
- to better understand how people interact with our websites (this may include the use of third party tools such as Google Analytics)
- to provide email and text communications which are required or we think will be of interest to you (including service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you)
- to determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and advertising
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with third parties
Whenever we process data for these purposes we will ensure that we always keep your Personal Data rights in high regard and take account of these rights. If you have any concerns about the way we process data, you have the right to object to processing that is based on our legitimate interests. Please use the email address at the bottom of this page to contact our data protection officer. Please bear in mind that if you object this may affect our ability to carry out tasks above for your benefit.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
We collect personal data under the following categories:
- Data you enter when filling in any form on the website – such as when you register or update the details of your user account
- Data relating to your access and use of the website – such as when you search for musicians, make or accept bookings, pay for bookings, book or pay for any associated services that may be available, post comments or reviews, or communicate with other users
- Data you consent to share with us from third parties – such as if you link your account on a social media site (e.g. Facebook) to your Scottish Pipers For Hire account, in which case we will obtain the Personal Information that you have provided to the third party site, to the extent allowed by your settings with the third party site and authorised by you
- Data relating to your direct communications with Scottish Pipers For Hire
Scottish Pipers For Hire may collect the following information about you:
- your name, age/date of birth and gender;
- your contact details: postal address including billing and delivery addresses, telephone numbers (including mobile numbers) and e-mail address;
- purchases and orders made by you;
- your online browsing activities on Scottish Pipers For Hire;
- your password;
- your communication and marketing preferences;
- your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses;
- your location;
- your correspondence and communications with Scottish Piper For Hire, and
- other publicly available personal data, including any which you have shared via a public platform (such as a Twitter feed or public Facebook page).
Our website is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
We do not collect payment details. If you enter payment details into Scottish Pipers For Hire, these are sent directly to our payments provider Paypal, who store them securely, and you acknowledge and accept Paypal’s terms and policies at the point of purchase, as detailed on our payment checkout page.
This list is not exhaustive and, in specific instances, we may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this Policy. Some of the above personal data is collected directly, for example when you set up an account on our website, submit an enquiry, or send a message to our customer services team. Other personal data is collected indirectly, for example your browsing activity.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
When someone visits our website we use one or more third party services, including Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things like the number of visitors to different pages on our site, and their usage patterns within those pages. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google or other organisations to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website.
Who we share your data with
We will not transfer, store, use or process your information, including any Personal Information, to countries outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”).
Your Personal Information may be disclosed as follows:
- As a musician, your public profile page will always include some minimum information such as your name, your public profile photo and public reviews and statistics related to your previous bookings. Parts of your public listing page may be displayed in other parts of the website to other users for marketing purposes. The website may also display your approximate geographic location on a map, such that a customer can see the general area of the services offered.
- As a musician, your public profile and results on public listing pages may be included in search engine indexes, in which case some details from your public profile may be published as search results. This option is enabled by default, and you may opt out of this feature by changing your settings on the website. If you change your settings or the information on your public profile, these search engines may not update their databases quickly or at all. We do not control the practices of third-party search engines, and they may use caches containing outdated information, including any information indexed by the search engine before you change your settings or the information on your public profile.
- When you submit a request to book a musician, your full name will become visible to the musician. In addition, if you request a call with the musician by phone and the musician accepts your request, we will share your phone number to enable them to make or accept a call. We may also share your phone number when a booking is confirmed in case the other party needs to contact
- When your request to book services is accepted or when you accept a request to book your services, we will disclose some of your Personal Information to the other party involved. However, your billing information will never be shared with another user.
- After a booking service has been completed, we will ask you to review the client or musician. If you choose to provide a review, your review may be public on the website.
- We may also publish, disclose and use Aggregated Information and non-personal information for industry analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
If you register as a musician on our website, or create an enquiry as a customer looking for musicians, we will use your provided contact details to get in touch with any important information regarding your use of our product and websites. For example, we may send recommended musicians relevant to an enquiry to you via email, or send a text alert with important last-minute information for a booking you have made.
We’ll always send important service messages to you via email. Where our communication is primarily for marketing purposes, we’ll ask you to explicitly opt-in to receive these types of messages.
We may review, scan, or analyse your communications with other users exchanged via the website or mobile apps for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, or customer support purposes.
We will not review, scan, or analyse your communications for the purpose of sending third party marketing messages to you. We will also not sell these reviews or analyses of communications to third parties. We will also use automated methods to carry out these reviews or analyses where reasonably possible. However, from time to time we may manually review some communications. By using our services, you consent that Scottish Pipers For Hire, in its sole discretion, may review, scan, analyse, and store your communications by the means and for the purposes described above.
Access To Your Personal Data
You are entitled to view, amend, or delete the personal information that we hold. The majority of the data we hold can be viewed, amended or deleted by you using the tools on our website. For example, if you are a registered musician you may use your profile page to edit the details held and displayed about you or your act.
If you are unclear about the use of these tools or have a data request which cannot be completed online using our website, please email your request to email@example.com
In the unlikely event of a data security incident, we’ll notify all affected customers promptly and without delay. In most cases this notification will be sent via email. Where required to do so, we’ll also notify the Information Commissioner (ICO).
Our reporting of a data incident does not constitute acknowledgement of any fault or liability on our part. Where possible, we will notify customers of steps we are taking to mitigate the effects of an incident, and steps we are taking to prevent future incidents of a similar nature.
This document was last reviewed on 16 May 2018.
We’ll always update this policy if we make significant changes to the types of data we collect or the way it is processed.
Data protection contact
For any matters concerning data protection please email Ed Arnold at: